About Ásgeir R. Helgason
Associate Professor in Psychology
University Lector in Social Medicine
Ásgeir R. Helgason (born 1957) is an Icelandic scientist working at Karolinska Institutet in Sweden. Since 2002 he has been an associate professor in psychology at the Departments of Oncology-Pathology and Public Health at the Karolinska Institutet and Reykjavik University, Iceland.
List of scientific publications on PubMed
Web editor: Hugi Ásgeirsson
- Birth date
- Father of two sons and two stepdaughters.
In a domestic partnership.
- Icelandic, with Icelandic and Swedish citizenship
- Current positions
- Head Psychologist, Centre for Epidemiology and Community Medicine, Stockholm County Council
Associate Professor in Psychology at Karolinska Institutet
Associate Professor in Psychology at Reykjavik University in Iceland
Prior and ongoing positions
- University Lector, Social Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, K9
- 2011- 2013
- Research Group Leader: Health Promoting Behavior Research, Karolinska Institutet
- Heading a research network on Men’s Health
- University Lector, Karolinska Institutet, Department of Oncology-Pathology
- Associate Professor (Docent) in Psychology, Reykjavik University, Iceland
- Associate Professor (Docent) in Psychology, Karolinska Institutet
- Research Psychologist, Stockholm County Council, Centre for Public Health
- Heading development and research, Swedish National Tobacco Quitline
- Research Psychologist, Oncology Clinic (Radiumhemmet), Karolinska Hospital
- Acting Chive Information Officer in Nordic collaboration, Icelandic Cancer Society
- Information Officer, Reykjavik Cancer Society, Iceland
Merits and university degrees/courses
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy – Clinical degree, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
- Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT) – Certificate, Amsterdam
- Associate Professor (Docent) in Psychology: Evaluated and accepted at two institutions:
Oncology-pathology (K7) and Public Health(K9), Karolinska Institutet
- PhD degree, Karolinska Institutet, Department of Oncology-Pathology, Sweden
- Clinical Sexology (focus on sexuality and cancer), Riksförbundet för sexuell upplysning (RFSU)
- Practical journalism (focus on health and science), MA level, University of Iceland
- Psychology graduate, University of Iceland
Graduated PhD students
- Bragi Skulason
- Death talk and bereavement: Icelandic men and widowers. University of Iceland, 2014.
- Eva Nohlert
- Smoking Cessation. Treatment intensity and outcome in randomized clinical trials. Uppsala University, 2013.
- Álfgeir L. Kristjansson
- Building the basis for primary prevention: Factors related to cigarette smoking and alcohol use among adolescents: Karolinska Institutet, 2011.
- Tanja Tomson
- Telephone support for smoking cessation. The Swedish example. Karolinska Institutet, 2005.
- Sveinbjörn Kristjansson
- Skin cancer prevention. Graduated from Karolinska Institutet, 2004.
- Massoud al-Abany
- Radiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer. The Swedish example. Karolinska Institutet 2005.
- Unnur Valdimarsdottir
- he loss of a husband to cancer - additional and avoidable psychological trauma. Karolinska Institutet, 2004.
Research grants (PI)
- Swedish Research Council
- Swedish Cancer Society
- Swedish Council for Working Life and Social Research
- Swedish Heart and Lung Foundation
- Kamprad Foundation
Boards and panels
- Icelandic Research Council – Expert Panel
- Icelandic Surgeon General (Landlæknir) - Expert panel
- Editorial board: Health Education and Behavior; Tobacco Induced Diseases
- Associate Editor: BMC-Public Health